REMPEC Head of Office
Contact for further info
Head of OfficeMARINE ENVIRONMENT DIVISION
V.N. 23-02 (External)
Date of Issue
Deadline for Applications
The type of contract will be fixed term for 1 year with the possibility of further extension subject to satisfactory performance and availability of project funds.Salary
US$ 90,664 net per annum, plus post adjustment (currently
US$ 56,945).Purpose of the Post
The Head of Office of the Regional Marine Pollution Emergency Response Centre (REMPEC) for the Mediterranean Sea provides management oversight and functional and policy direction to the work of REMPEC. In this capacity, the Head of Office formulates and implements the substantive work programme of REMPEC, ensures that programmed activities are carried out in a timely fashion and co-ordinates work in the different technical areas both within the office, and with IMO and UNEP/Mediterranean Action Plan Office.Main Duties and Responsibilities
In accordance with the provisions set out in Barcelona Convention Concerning Co-operation in Preventing Pollution, the International Maritime Organization (IMO) is responsible for the overall administration of the Regional Marine Pollution Emergency Response Centre for the Mediterranean Sea (REMPEC), working in close concert with the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), Mediterranean Action Plan, as the Secretariat to the Barcelona Convention.
Within this context, the Head of Office, under the overall supervision of Director, Marine Environment Division of IMO and the direct supervision of the Deputy Director, MED, in liaison with the Executive Secretary and Coordinator of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) Mediterranean Action Plan, will:
- Effectively manage the REMPEC office to ensure transparent and efficient personnel and programme management and the continuous development of a consistent and high-performing team.
- Provide leadership and work direction to assigned work team, mentor and supervise the work of the Centre’s staff.
- Liaise with the Government of Malta on matters related to the operation of the Centre and its staff, including the REMPEC premises.
- Coordinate the preparation of the biennial work programme of REMPEC, as well as activities implemented under IMO’s Integrated Technical Cooperation Programme.
- Ensure appropriate financial management of programme and project funding and reporting, including preparation of budgets, financial monitoring and oversight and preparation of reports, as required by IMO and UNEP/MAP.
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of the biennial meetings of the REMPEC Focal Points, and the preparation of inputs to the biennial meetings of the Contracting Parties to the Barcelona Convention.
- Initiate and coordinate activities related to technical cooperation and technical assistance for marine pollution prevention and response; including formulating project proposals and relevant project documents; providing technical support to Contracting Parties on request work; reviewing and clearing project reports for submission to UNEP/MAP.
- Ensure that emergency capacity and systems within the Centre is maintained for timely communication and response to requests for assistance to pollution incidents.
- Foster teamwork and communication among staff in the Centre and across organizational partners.
- Establish and maintain contacts with government officials, other UN agencies,
non-governmental organizations, regional organizations, and diplomatic missions; ensures appropriate mechanisms to facilitate collaboration and exchange of information both in and outside the UN system.
- Participate in international, regional or national meetings and provide programmatic/substantive programmatic and technical expertise on issues relevant to the work of the Centre.
- Undertake other duties, as may be assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of the work and internal practices and procedures of IMO and UNEP. Knowledge of political and social environments in the Mediterranean region. Ability to work with people of different national, cultural and professional backgrounds. Ability to work well under pressure, in particular during emergency situations. Ability to apply UN rules, regulations, policies and guidelines in work situations. Ability to produce quality reports and papers. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; remains calm in stressful situations.
Management & Leadership: Ability to effectively manage and motivate a multi-disciplinary and diverse staff. Serves as a role model that other people want to follow; empowers others to translate objectives into results; is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives; establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of stakeholders and staff to understand needs and gain support; anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Planning & Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Judgement/Decision-making: Identifies the key issues in complex situations and comes to the heart of the problem quickly; gathers relevant information before making a decision; considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them; takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization; proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information; makes tough decisions when necessary. Professional Experience
Minimum of 7 years of progressively responsible experience working for a maritime administration, international or regional organization or industry body dealing with technical maritime affairs, including experience dealing with pollution prevention, preparedness and response, of which 3 years are at the regional or international level.
At least three years supervisory experience is required. with experience in programme and financial oversight.
Substantial experience in coordinating technical meetings, overseeing the implementation capacity building activities, and coordinating expert and advisory meetings and missions is essential.
Experience in policy development and implementation is also required.
Project management experience would be a strong asset.Education
Advanced University degree (Masters or equivalent) in physical or marine science, maritime law, environmental management, engineering, or a closely related field.Language Skills
Proficiency in English (oral and written) is essential. Fluency in French would be a strong advantage. Knowledge of another UN language would be an asset. Other Skills
Proficiency in MS Office applications. Working knowledge of SAP or equivalent ERP system would be an asset.
Apply here – https://imo-recruit.azurewebsites.net/vacancies/728