REMPEC – Senior Administrative Assistant (G7) Marine Environment Division
Contact for further info
Vacancy AnnouncementG.S. 21-15
Date of Issue19/05/2022
Deadline for Applications16/06/2022
The first year of contract will be probationary with the possibility of further extension subject to satisfactory performance. This post is limited to candidates who have unhindered permission to live and work in Malta.
Approximately €28,194 net per annum, (subject to deductions e.g. national insurance and contribution to the UN pension scheme) and free of Maltese income tax.
Purpose of the Post
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the incumbent will provide general administrative and office management support to the REMPEC office based in Valletta, Malta.Main
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Office, the incumbent will deliver the following varied and cross-functional tasks.
General Administration and Office Management
- Assisting the Head of Office in day-to-day running of the office.
- Working alongside and supervising the work of the Administrative Assistant.
- Coordinating with the International Maritime Organization (IMO) on administrative, human resource, and programme related matters. Coordinating with the Mediterranean Action Plan of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP/MAP).
- Providing secretariat services to committees and working groups, including, drafting and circulating agendas, meeting notes, preparing background documentation, meeting minutes, and monitoring follow-up actions.
- Drafting of complex correspondence, memos and reports. Editing, proofreading and formatting technical documentation.
- Assisting in the preparation of routine work progress and financial reports for submission to IMO and UNEP/MAP.
- Organising high level/strategic/technical events that fall under the purview of the Head of Office.
- Coordinating REMPEC’s contribution to the duty station’s United Nations Security Management Team (SMT) in support of the Head of REMPEC.
- Establishing and supervising internal file management systems for the programme/project activities, including confidential files.
- Monitoring deadlines for commitments, contracts and memorandums.
- Managing day-to-day administration of contracts, liaising with contractors and sub-contractors for consultancy services, maintaining accurate records.
- Managing procurement processes in liaison with bidders and IMO Procurement.
- Reviewing invoices from consultants/companies against contracts, for clearance for payment.
Human Resources oversight and administration
- Liaising with IMO on HR matters related to staff rules, policy issues, entitlements, etc.
- Serving as primary focal point, in conjunction with Head of Office for administrative and policy aspects of human resource matters. Providing information to staff/consultants on conditions of service, duties and responsibilities, privileges and entitlements under the Staff Rules and Regulations.
- Coordinating and supporting the management of staff contracts.
- Processing documentation related to diplomatic requirements and privileges in liaison with the host government.
- Performing any other duties, as may required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail, especially when processing and proofreading technical documentation.
- Proven ability to prioritize, plan and organize work independently and accurately under pressure.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information and deal with internal and external stakeholders with tact and discretion.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicit input and willing to learn from others.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of all responsibilities.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment.
At least seven years of progressive experience in programme or project administration is required. Experience with contract administration and Human Resources administration is highly desirable. Experience working for a government administration, regional or international organization is desirable.
Secondary education to university entrance standard.
Complete proficiency in English, both written and oral and the ability to draft clearly and concisely is essential. Working knowledge of additional UN languages (French, Spanish, Arabic) relevant to the region would be an asset.
Advanced proficiency in MS Office applications. Knowledge and experience working with databases and ERP systems (e.g. SAP) would be an advantage. Experience in web editing and related software is highly desirable.