In this section of the Technical and Reference pages you will find Articles that will be of interest to the Spill Control Community. Members who would like to submit aricles for possible inclusion are invited to write to the Secretary at [email protected]
TO VIEW OR DOWNLOAD AN ARTICLE IN WHICH YOU ARE INTERESTED, CLICK ON THE RELEVANT ARTICLE HEADING BELOW
LIST OF ARTICLES AVAILABLE ON THIS SITE
1. Oil Spill Remote Sensing by Dr Mervyn Fingas, Hon. MISCO
2. Anatomy of an Oil Spill – Case History of an Onshore Heavy Oil Spill in the Scottish Highlands
3. Response to Inland Oil Spills by Mark Francis, FISCO
4. In-Situ Burning by Dr Merv Fingas, Hon.FISCO
5. Integrated booming plans, emergency booming strategies or just the thin red line ? An article by Mark Francis, FISCO
6. Case History: “Porechye – Empty Tanks” – An application of hot tap technique
7. Lessons learned from Latin America: Forty years ago – The Metula Incident – An article contribured by Carlos Sagrera MISCO
8. Bitumens and diluted bitumens from Western Canadian Oil Sands – An article contributed by Dr Merv Fingas, HonFISCO
9. The future of Lloyds Open Form – An article contributed by Mark Hoddinott, General Manager of the International Salvage Union
10. Ten years after being hit by Hurricane Katrina, seeing an oiled marsh at the centre of an environmental clean-up – A Case History contributed by NOAA
11. A successful Sunken Oil assessment – The T/B Apex spill in the Mississipi River – An article contributed by Dr Jacqueline Michel, President of Research Planning, Inc.
12. New mapping solution helps reduce environmental impact from oil spills – An article contributed by the Organisation of the Norwegian Coastal Administration.
13. Case History – RFA Darkdale Oil Removal Project – An article contributed by Simon Valentine, FISCO, Emergency Response Manager, Swire Emergency Response Services, Dubai.
14. Shoreline Clean-up – An article giving helpful guidance and lots of useful information contributed by Mark Francis, FISCO.
15. Tools to help deal with the sinking problem of wrecked and abandoned ships – An article contributed by NOAA
16. Control and Prevention of Oil Spills: Some outlines of a reaction in Latin America to the DWH incident – An article contributed by Carlos Sagrera, MSc, MISCO.
17. Use of Net Systems for Heavy Oil Recovery, including Tarballs floating sub-surface – An article contributed by ISCO
18. CROIERG – Australia’s response organisation for response to road tanker spills – An article contributed by Brian O’Connor
19. Pollution Prevention and Unfair Treatment of Contractors – An article contributed by Andreas Tsavliris
20. Need for sensible guidelines for decanting settled-out water during at-sea oil spill recovery operations – An article contributed by ISCO
21. Oil Spill Risks – Old Challenges and New Technologies – An article contributed by Captain D. C. Sekhar, Member of ISCO Council for India
22. The importance of Places of Refuge – An article from IG P&I Clubs
23. FIELD TRIALS TO EVALUATE INLAND AND SHORELINE SUBSURFACE OIL DETECTION USING CANINE TEAMS – A short article contributed by Dr Ed Owens
24. HOW IS AN OIL SPILL IN A RIVER DIFFERENT THAN ONE IN THE OCEAN? An article reprinted here with the kind permission of NOAA’s Office of Response and Restoration
25. WHAT HAPPENS WHEN OIL SPILLS MEET MASSIVE ISLANDS OF SEAWEED?
An article reprinted here with the kind permission of NOAA’s Office of Response and Restoration
26. CHALLENGING THE VALIDITY OF RECENT CLAIMS THAT DISPERSANTS SUPPRESS BIODEGRADATION An article by Alun Lewis, Independent Consultant
27. CASE HISTORY: RFA DARKDALE OIL REMOVAL PROJECT – An article contributed by Simon Valentine, MISCO.
28. DEEP WATER HORIZON INCIDENT – WHERE DID THE OIL GO? An article contributed by Alun Lewis, Independent Consultant
29. USA: PREPAREDNESS FOR RESPONSE EXERCISE PROGRAM (PREP) & GOVERNMENT INITIATED UNANNOUNCED EXERCISES (GIUE) GUIDELINES – An article contributed by Steve Candito, CEO of Foresea Consulting.
30. THE CASE FOR LLOYDS OPEN FORM SALVAGE CONTRACT – A short article by Mark Hoddinott
31. SPILL RESPONSE & ALTERNATIVE RESPONSE TECHNOLOGIES (including Adsorbents v. Absorbents, and Imbiber Beads) – An article contributed by John Brinkman
32. OIL SPILL EVALUATION – An article contributed by Mark Francis
34. OIL SPILL FATE IN 3D – Predicting the influence (natural and chemical) of dispersion on oil spill fate – An article by Marieke Zeinstra submitted by Dr Wierd Koops
35. RISING TO THE CHALLENGE – The Outcomes of the IPECA-IOGP Oil Spill Response Joint Industry Project 2011-2016. Authors: Rob Cox and Peter Taylor
36. THE GROUNDLINE ANCHORING SYSTEM – AN INNOVATION THAT SUCCESSFULLY PROTECTED ITALIAN HOLIDAY BEACHES